Thursday, 28 April 2011

Happy Birthday Blog - 1 Year of Fraîche Food


Doesn't time fly when you're having fun. One year later and here we are; I'm still at it. In many ways it doesn't feel like a whole year has passed since I set up this pokey blog, on the 22nd of April 2010. Since then, some things have changed and some things have stayed the same.


In some ways I still feel the shaky and unsure newbie blogger that I was twelve months ago: I still worry when I post a recipe that if anyone tries it, they won't like it. I still wonder whether the opinion posts are an over-cooked and under-seasoned risotto of dull ramblings. I still feel, despite a whole year of trying new recipes (from books and my own grey matter), that I have mountains to learn.


Thankfully though, from the (roughly) three people who read this blog, and the two who have tried any of the recipes, the feedback has been positive.


Some things have changed though – in many ways this blog has become more selfish. When I set it up, one of the main aims was 'to get you [students/anyone who doesn't cook] cooking'. Whilst that is still one of the main goals, cooking for me has become a personal journey, a journey in which every new recipe, every new ingredient, every new restaurant visit, has become something of a voyage of discovery. Having to invent dishes also, both for this blog and the student newspaper, has been a great challenge in many ways, especially for someone with as little background knowledge or experience as me.


Food for me has now become this great fascination and curiosity, from the irresistibly captivating world of molecular gastronomy and kitchen science, through to the immense joy and satisfaction of growing your own food at home, there is just so much to learn and discover. And let's not forget the of the great joys of cooking: sharing.


Cooking for friends and family is a great way to show you care, and it is a great way to enjoy the company of one another. The dinner table is this great forum for conversation, for debate, for sharing stories and experiences, and for simple idle chit-chat. When you cook for those around you, you cannot help but find yourself imbued with a joy at being able to give something back to those around you; I thoroughly recommend it. Find a recipe that you really like, practice it on yourself, and then invite some friends round and enjoy. It's well worth it.


I often find it amusing when I talk to people about food or about this blog – they sometimes assume that I know a lot about food and/or am a good cook. But this couldn't be further from the truth: I can follow a simple recipe, I am passionate and I am intrigued. But should you need any more to enjoy food and cooking?


Go on, get your apron on (or alternatively your stain removal primed and ready), get into that kitchen, and get cooking. You won't regret it.


Statistics


I am a bloke, and therefore I like statistics. So below are some statistics from one year of Fraîche Food.


Visitor Statistics


According to Google Analytics, over the course of the year:


  • The site had 253 visits (not very much)

  • 157 of those were absolute unique visitors (even less)

  • The blog had 557 page views (slightly better)

  • 00:02:24 was the average time spent on the site by any visitor

  • The average amount of visitors has increased over the year, beginning with 0 views in the month of May 2010 and peaking with 46 in February 2011

  • The most viewed individual blog post was the review of Wallace and Co.

  • The biggest source of traffic was from Facebook

  • The majority of visitors came from the UK, with the US in second place out of 8 countries including Russia and Turkey.


    Blog Post Statistics

  • Over the year, Fraîche Food has had 18 blog posts, which works out on average as 1.5 per month

  • Of those 18 posts, only 8 were recipes

  • The total word count comes to over 12,100 words.


Speaking of words, here's a nice little Wordle image to finish, displaying the frequency of words in this blog (larger = more recurrent):




Oh, and one more thing: I do appreciate feedback, so if you've tried a recipe, like or dislike the blog, or even if you simply think it's all a pointless waste of e-space, I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Keep going, I've had my blog for 4 years, it takes time to build up a following and posting on UKFB, commenting on other people's blogs will build your profile. Tweeting and following other Twitter users is also a good way of driving people to hear what you want to say. Being selfish is good, it means you are talking about what you love.

    Looking forward to seeing your next year of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janice! Cheers for the advice, I will add you to my blog-roll once I've set it up too!

    All the best,
    J.

    ReplyDelete