Thursday, 12 May 2011

The MasterChef Challenge


So there we have it, another year of MasterChef has come and gone. Another three everyday you-and-me's have gone on the epic foodie adventure of a lifetime, and enjoyed the dizzying heights of prime-time slot television limelight. And one of them has gone on to enter the MasterChef hall of fame: congratulations to Mr Tim Anderson for a well deserved win. His imaginative and inventive genius that had him dubbed 'the mad professor', complemented by a (typically American) bright, positive and generally pleasant disposition, made him well worthy of the title.


Speaking of such things, you may well remember the MasterChef At Home book I mentioned here previously. Well, predictably, I succumbed to the temptation and eventually bought it.


Whilst idly browsing through the wealth of staggering recipes accommodated in its pages, I decided to set myself a little challenge. I'm going to try and cook my way through at least 10 per cent of the recipes in the book, or as many as possible (whichever comes first, to be honest!). Obviously, some (or many) of them will be very expensive, some of them will use equipment and methods which I do not have the means to acquire, and some of them will simply be too difficult. But that's going to be part of the fun.


And that's just what it is: a bit of fun really. Every now and then I might report on how things are going, and who knows, maybe it could even 'change my looiife?'



I tried my first recipe from the book the other day – a butternut squash soup with cumin (pictured above). Ironically, considering this is the MasterChef book, it was actually simpler to make than many of the soups in Jamie's Ministry of Food. More importantly, though, is the fact that it really did taste amazing. I will be sure to revisit that one at some point in the near future.


Anyway, let the games commence....

No comments:

Post a Comment