Friday, 1 June 2012

Demand for Local Produce in the Current Economic Climate



For one of my recent journalism assignments I had to make a short video news feature. The crtieria was simple; it had to be a newsworthy story, it had to be less than five minutes long, and it had to be written, filmed, directed, presented, edited and produced by me. Simple, but a rather tall order nonetheless.

Of course, my mind leapt straight to food, and the first thing that came to mind was the recent (at the time of thinking) slump in sales at Tesco over the Christmas period. My next thought was the general trend towards increased consumption of local, organic and artisan produce over the past few years. My third thought was that it would be great to film at a vibrant market, such as Borough.


To cut a long story short, many weeks, emails, frustrations and changes of plan later and I had filmed my news feature, focusing on the increased demand for local produce in a recession. After many more hours of editing, script writing, editing, narration recording and more editing later, I had the finished peice in my hand (or rather, on my hard drive).

It features the Tunbridge Wells Farmers' Market and an interview with author and Telegraph columnist Rose Prince, and, I must mention, couldn't have been done without a little assistance from my long-suffering bro Ben. See the video above, and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment